Wednesday, May 25, 2011

what you can do for me

So many people are so kind and generous in offering their time and talents. As I have said, I absolutely appreciate every bit of it and I promise I will be tapping into many of you in the coming months. Sit tight! In the meantime, I thought of a few things that folks can do for me right now. Here goes.
 
First of all, spread the word of early detection. I am sure many of you are sick of hearing it... but, too bad! You are going to hear it a lot more! My plan is to be a walking commercial for the importance of early detection. I will share again that I found this myself... If I waited until my annual, my prognosis would have been worse. If you are not sure how to do a self-exam, google it. Come on... I know you have googled weirder things, like Charlie Sheen's craziness or the latest on the rapture madness. Do yourself a favor and google something positive and helpful for once.
I am sure that many of you have heard of the slogan of American Cancer Society that says they promote "more birthdays". Well, it's no secret that we Briamontes love a good party ... It's genetic. So my intention is to have a ridiculous amount of birthdays in the future. I hope to celebrate for years and years to come. After all, it's family tradition. I can't disappoint! So please, don't feel weird, tell people about my story so that someone else might have a shot at many more birthdays too!
 
Do at least one random act of kindness this week! I love seeing people smile. It's awesome. and some of the best smiles come from happy surprises. So, this week, I ask all of you to do something special and unexpected for someone. It can be something big or small. Here are some ideas:
  • treat a co-worker to a cup of dunks;
  • if you see a parked car with a bumper sticker that says "my son is a marine" or something similar, leave them a thank you note on their car (you can stick it under the windshield... won't they be doubly happy when they realize it's not a parking ticket?);
  • reach out to that person who you keep thinking of but just haven't gotten around to calling and just say "hi, I have been thinking of you";
  • if you have a garden, consider bringing flowers to a friend to brighten their day;
  • bake some cookies and bring them to a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen (thinking of my awesome Delta Zeta little sister who runs the "baking for humanity" program around the holidays);
I found this website and think it's pretty cool.
http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/
My personal mantra has always been "if not me, then who? if not now, then when?" Please make it happen for me. I want to see more smiles. Cancer is a negative disease. I plan on fighting it with technology, and with putting more and more positive stuff out in the world. Ever heard the expression "kill 'em with kindness"? Well, how about we kill it with kindness. Take that cancer! :-p
 

1 comment:

  1. OK that sounds great. I think we found our next Oprah. You are the best, keep spreading the good word. Keep smiling keep shining the light within. Love you can't wait to see you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete