Before I go on, it bears mentioning that my personal case manager was diligent enough to point out a flaw in my original post. I not only survived my first round of chemo, I did so without throwing up! She said I should take props for that. I had a few near misses, including me screaming at Steve to park the car in the Bertucci's parking lot before I threw up, but I was able to regroup and keep the contents of my stomach in place.
A few tips for any future chemo sisters regarding nausea management:
- Never leave your house without your zofran. Nausea can sneak up on you anywhere.
- When in doubt, eat something bland and carby.
- Do NOT eat anything spicy or highly acidic. This will result in no sleep due to severe heartburn.
- Make friends with pepcid. It will save your life and your insides.
- Don't think you can run on an empty stomach. You can't. It's a different ball game now. Eat small frequent meals or you will feel like crap.
On a positive note, I channeled my boredom of being stuck with zero energy into something productive. I am teaching myself how to crochet. I have to say my first project is coming along swimmingly. And once that's done, I bought "pink camo" yarn! I need to make myself a cool "pink warrior" something. Maybe a hat since my head is going to be cold soon.
Tomorrow will be a happy day. It's #1, Steve's birthday and #2 a friday without chemo! Two fun things to celebrate!
Fifteen weeks to go!