Friday, November 11, 2011

in sickness and in health

On November 12, 2004, those were part of the words that we spoke in front of about 200 people and our God. Little did we know...

We all take our vows when we get married, and in that moment, we absolutely mean them with all of our hearts. However, we never quite know when and how those vows will be tested. There are different components of them that can be challenged at any given time. The richer/poorer thing, well we all struggle with that in this economy. The better or worse part, that's so general, it could apply to anything. That could even boil down to managing through a cranky day.

The sickness and health part, that's more definited, but sometimes, like in my case harder to predict when it will pop up. I think to me, I expected to have a good 40 years before we had to worry about that sickness stuff. I thought it would be more the old people, forget where you left your teeth, or forget to take your blood pressure pill kind of sickness that we were talking about. I mean, sure, I knew we would get the occasional flu, or stomach bug, but cancer? Never in a million years did I expect that. At 7 years of marriage, I did not expect us to face what we did in the past 6 months. But the truth is, we have no control over things like this, and unfortunately, this was the hand we were dealt.

So our vows were tested in a big way. And I think I can confidently say that despite our challenges, our frustrations and occasional shouting matches, we weathered the storm. We meant what we said and we have stuck to it. We have loved, honored and cherished. Now we know not to take life and each other for granted.

And although this stupid cold I have is preventing me from celebrating our anniversary how I would have liked, we will find a way to celebrate it anyway because we earned it!

Oh and a special shout out to one of my favorite couples on this planet who share our anniversary. Love you guys and proud that you thought enough of us to get married on november 12 too! Can't wait until we can take a huge anniversary trip together somewhere fun.

1 comment:

  1. you both have certainly earned this anniversary and many more! enjoy!! thank you for being such a wonderful example for us of what those Nov 12th vows mean. :-)

    ReplyDelete