Monday, September 19, 2011

no such thing as a bad hair day

While talking to Tammy today, I told her that I didn't think I would ever complain about a bad hair day again. That spawned a thought and a post. It's about appreciating what we have, and how the loss of something, even something as trivial as hair, can make you see what you do have.

I miss the days when humidity was my greatest foe, and when my solution was throwing my frizzy hair back into a pony tail.  I miss frizz! Frizz is better than fuzz, ladies and gentlemen. You heard it here first. I was brave enough to conduct a scientific experiment on your behalf to determine which is worse.  You can thank me later.

I am certain that you don't come out of a cancer diagnosis unchanged. I'd like to think that I am going to at the core still be "me", but perhaps a better me with a different perspective. I renewed perspective on life. I remember having a quote hanging in my first cubicle at Schering. The quote stated simply, "If you focus on what you do not have, you will never have enough. If you focus on what you do have, you will realize how blessed you are". I find it ironic that I am being taught a lesson that I already knew was true. I guess perhaps it was to test me, to see if I could put my money where my mouth was so to speak.

The bottom line, it's about focusing on what you have. Does your job drive you nuts sometimes? Maybe, but it pays your bills and it supports your family. In this day and age, that's something that others don't have. Do you have a lot going on and feel overwhelmed? Maybe, but it sure beats being bored and not having much to live for. Do you wish your house was bigger, cleaner, fancier? Maybe, but it's a home none-the-less, providing shelter and a place to gather with your family and rest. So many people lost theirs in the recent hurricane. Does your hair get frizzy when it's humid? Maybe, but it's wonderful to just have hair, and as I know know, frizz is better than fuzz. Do you have to go through chemo to get healthy, and does that suck? Maybe, but it means you have hope to live a longer life and are benefiting from years of research. The treatment might seem worse than the disease, but in reality, it's not true. It's wonderful to have the option to fight. Some people never get that chance.

1 comment:

  1. What a truly beautiful, inspirational, uplifting post; from a truly beautiful, inspirational, and uplifting person that I am beyond proud to call an amazing friend. My love, prayers, and constant thoughts are always with you; as is every ounce of my indispensable strength comes to you every single day. Take care of yourself.

    Love,

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete