Why can't things just go smoothly? One way or another, I will be getting my Taxol, but in the meantime, there is a lot of hassle and uncertainty involved. Admittedly, I am annoyed that my doctor didn't even mention the shortage of the drug until Friday, which was my last infusion of the other drug. Having since done my research, the medical community was notified early summer that this was a problem. I am not sure why she waited, but to hear the words "we may not have the drug we are recommending" didn't exactly sit well. I was in a bit of a shock at first.
Once Monday rolled around and the shock wore off, I was in a bit of a panic. I know there is an alternative treatment, but I couldn't help but feel jipped and a little nervous. So with the help of my sister-in-law, I decided not to just settle for the alternative. We set up an appointment back at Hackensack, and are working on getting one at Robert Wood Joohnson, both seem to have supply. Monmouth as of today, has not one dose.
However, my nurse called today to tell me that they secured 2 of the 4 doses I need so far. It's a start I suppose, but it's not enough for me to commit to staying there. I need to know they will have what I need. I don't want to be stuck midstream without the medicine I need. I've come too far and endured too much to have something stupid like a drug shortage get in my way.
I guess we needed an element of suspense to this story. I guess someone felt there hasn't been enough stress just surrounding the whole diagnosis and treatment to date. Personally, I bet to differ. There has been more than enough behind the scenes drama, stress, and struggle for my taste, but if this is part of the gig, so be it. I will keep pushing on.