Thursday, February 14, 2013

You mean pink isn't just for ribbons?

Nope. It's the color of love. It was funny to see fb all pink today and NOT have it do anything with breast cancer. I had become so conditioned to associate pink with a disease, that I forgot its more conventional meaning: love.

I received pink flowers this week, and a pink prayer shawl. Both acts of love. It's amazing how something like cancer makes you forget things you once knew. Valentine's day, cupid, pink hearts... That's what pink used to be associated with for me. At first, I was taken aback, and happily relieved to see the sea of pink have nothing to do with mutant cells today. Hurray!

I had forgotten. I was too focused pink representing on awareness, research, and treatment. Then I realized something: pink, even when it's in ribbon form is still representative of love. I suppose the color was chosen because breast cancer is typically girly, but I think it really is because there is so much love surrounding those of us with cancer. Love and support are the best complimentary therapies there are. And there are no side effects.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment