Wednesday, February 1, 2012

the road to wellness

I am finally at a point where I am ready to start really changing the way I do things. I had made a few attempts during treatments but side effects got in the way. Now that active treatment is done, it's time. I cannot fully control cancer. In fact, I can't control it pretty much at all. However,statistics do show that moderate/vigorous activity, and a lower BMI reduce your likelihood of a recurrance. While certainly there is no guarantees with this disease, it would be foolish of me not to make the effort.

My goal is to get in exercise 3-4 days a week at a minimum. I will be paying better attention to my diet. Bottom line is, will it help the cancer stay away? No one knows for sure. But statistics say yes. And if it doesn't, well, at least in the meantime, I will feel better about myself. Being healthier is never a bad thing right?

I also will be starting my cancer transitions program on monday. That should be good. I am really looking forward to that. The focus is these very types of lifestyle changes. I think that will be great.

So this is where it starts. Who knows what the future holds. I am hoping it holds opportunities for 5ks, who knows, and maybe more... But you know what they say, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step". Today I take mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment