Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The calm before the storm

A year ago today, I was blissfully unaware of the storm that was brewing. I went to work. I figured everything was normal. We went to the park after dinner and I watched Steven run around. Our world was unaffected, our life was happy, I was healthy, at least as far as I knew.

I was vaguely nervous about the mammogram the following day, but truth be told, the thought of actually having breast cancer never really crossed my mind. I was more concerned about having to get my first mammogram. I remember hearing jokes about how painful they were, and that to prep for them, you could lay on the garage floor and slam the garage door down on your boobs. Things like that. I expected I would go, get the test done, and go home. I couldn't fathom what was about to happen.

I guess you could call it the calm before the storm. I guess you could say it was the perfect case of "ignorance is bliss". I guess no one ever expects to be struck by lightning, but it happens. It's been just about a year and I haven't woken up yet, so I guess it is all real. I had often hoped it was just a bad dream. I often longed for the simplicity of the night before my appointment: to live without any major fear, to feel normal and calm. I miss those days.

1 comment:

  1. Remember after the storm comes the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete